© 2021 www.dunmoreeast.net. All rights reserved Last updated 26 December 2021
Dunmore East
Dunmore East is a small fishing village on the south-east coast of Ireland, 16kms from the city of Waterford. It sits on the western side of the Waterford Harbour Estuary, 4.8kms from Hook Head in Wexford.
Dunmore East, Co. Waterford, Ireland


DUNMORE , or DUNMORE EAST , a sea-port and post-town, in the parish of Killea barony of

GAULTIER , county of Waterford and province of MUNSTER, 9 miles (S. E.) from Waterford , and 84

3/4 (S. by E.) from Dublin ; containing 631 inhabitants.

This place, which is situated on the western shore of Waterford haven , was originally a poor fishing

village, consisting only of a few cabins built of clay, and thatched with straw; but since the improvement

of its harbour by government, as a station for the post-office packets from Milford , it has grown into

importance and become a fashionable bathing place. The town is situated in a valley sloping gently

towards the sea, and consists chiefly of thatched cottages, which are let to visitors during the season,

and of which many are about to be rebuilt by the Marquess of Waterford, the principal proprietor, by

whom various important improvements are contemplated, which will render it in every respect a

desirable place of resort for sea-bathing. As seen from the sea it has a very pleasing appearance,

presenting several neat white houses widely interspersed among richly cultivated fields, with the church

on the road to the pier, and the ruins of an ancient church crowning the hill in the back ground.

The plan for improving the harbour was projected in 1814, and the expense of carrying it into effect was

estimated by the late Mr. Nimmo , under whose superintendence it was conducted, at £19,385; but from

the necessary additions and subsequent improvements, that sum had, in 1821, amounted to £42,500,

and in 1832 to £93,286; and it was then found that £15,000 more would be requisite to complete this

important work, making a total expenditure of £108,286. The pier, which extends in a north-eastern

direction for more than 700 feet, is defended by a breakwater, stretching from Dunmore Head more

than 800 feet into the water, varying from four to six fathoms in depth, and presenting towards the sea

an inclined plane paved with massive blocks of stone, which breaks the force of the waves before they

reach the parapet of the pier, which has an elevation of 70 feet. The pier and quay are built of a silicious

stone quarried in the neighbouring hills, and faced with a fine granite, which, after the exhaustion of

these quarries, was brought from the county of Carlow . The basin comprises an area of six acres, and

is sheltered by the Mole and Dunmore hill from the west and south-west winds, on the north-east by

the promontory of Creden Head , and on the east by the peninsula of Hook ; the depth at the entrance is

15 feet, and at the innermost part 8 feet at the lowest ebb.

At the pier head is a lighthouse, displaying a red light towards the sea, and a bright light up the harbour,

which is easily accessible, but it is gradually filling with sand, whence it is in contemplation to remove the

mail packet station to the quay of Waterford, thus enabling the post-office to place a superior class of

steamers on the line. This is now the station of the mail packets between England and the South of

Ireland, and one of the four ports for British correspondence. There are four steamers, each of 80-horse

power, on this station; the packet with the mail for Milford leaves Dunmore daily at half past 6 o'clock in

the morning, and on the arrival of the packet from Milford , a coach conveys the mail and passengers to

Waterford .the distance between the two ports is 80 miles.

The fishery is still carried on here, in which three hookers of from 14 to 18 tons' burden are employed in

the cod and ling fishery in the deep sea, and 30 yawls in the herring and in-shore fishery. Dunmore is

also the pilot station for vessels making for Waterford harbour. The limits of the harbour by the 58th of

Geo. III., cap. 72, extend from Shanoon Point to Ardnamult Point ; the duties of the Commissioners of

this harbour have been annexed to the Board of Public Works. In the rocks in the bay of Dunmore is a

fissure of no great extent, called the Cathedral , and to the west of it, near the promontory of Red Head ,

is another, called the Bishop's cave , 100 feet in length and 24 feet wide.

Dunmore or Dunmore East

Description from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of

Ireland , 1837